Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Christmas Dress

My sewing machine has been working over time lately!
And for a 20-something year old basic little Janome, it's been doing a brilliant job.
I do love my sewing machine!!

After I finished the 9...nine...Christmas aprons, I had small piece of the gorgeous birdie fabric left to make a Christmas dress or skirt for my Miss 4. I needed to match it with some other fabrics but I knew that wouldn't be difficult because there are so many beautiful Christmas fabrics around at the moment. So I went to Lincraft and chose red spot, and red owl & hearts fabrics.


And Miss 4 helped me pick this pattern...

McCall's 5838
 I hadn't made a Christmas dress for her before...I know...slack mum!!
But I was excited about making this one.
It turned out I didn't have quite enough birdie fabric for the frill, so I added an extra red spot frill.
So, after cutting out 12 pattern pieces (I wouldn't call this an easy pattern) and spending all day sewing (I wouldn't call it quick either) I was very, very happy with the end result.


And so was Miss 4, who "really, really, really" loves it!


And today I think my trusty sewing machine (and I) need a rest!

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love it. You have a great eye for matching fabrics. 12 pieces though, my oh my!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very adorable dress. The birdies make it extra special.

    I love my little Janome too. I have a fancier electronic machine, but prefer to sew on my basic Janome most of the time.

    Thanks for linking to the 52 week challenge.

    ReplyDelete